Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Garden to Table [Jalapeno Popper Dip]

As I explained yesterday, Hubby and I had a wonderful evening playing cards and visiting with our dear friends D and S.  What I didn't mention is that they are both incredible cooks!  We always know when we go there that we will not only have terrific company, but also a terrific meal.


With that comes some pressure to produce something yummy to contribute.  I knew that I wanted to make something using the abundance of jalapeno peppers from our garden.  I usually make pepper jelly and serve it over cream cheese, but thought I'd put a little different spin on it this time and make Jalapeno Popper Dip.  I know, I know.....adding cream cheese, cheese, etc. etc. doesn't exactly make it farm fresh, but I'm telling you, these are the spiciest jalapenos ever grown.  There is no way to make and eat them without adding additional ingredients to tame them some.  (I did once try to stuff and grill them....no one could eat more than one bite of them....and we are not spice wimpy eaters.)

As I browsed different recipes online, I noticed a couple different things.  1. Most recipes called for canned jalapenos, which I obviously didn't want to use.  2. A common complaint in the reviews for recipes using fresh jalapenos was that some of the peppers were crunchy and still raw tasting.  Some recipes called for garlic, some did not.  Some called for lots and lots of cream cheese, but just a bit of the others.  Some called for additional types of peppers, but some did not.  So, I decided I would just compile what I liked from each.  The following recipe is the end result.



Jalapeno Popper Dip

Ingredients:
  • 8-10 roasted jalapenos
  • 1 1/2 8 oz blocks cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 t. garlic powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. cumin
  • couple slices bacon, crumbled (which I didn't use this time, but will next time, but then omitting salt) 
  • panko bread crumbles
  • 1-2 T melted butter
Chop roasted jalapenos in food processor.  Blend first 9 ingredients until mixed well.  Spread into baking dish. (I used a fluted pie dish, which worked beautifully!) Top with panko, drizzle with butter.  Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and cheese is melted.  Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.

** Cook's note: I thought it needed more heat, and would probably add more jalapenos or some hot sauce to the mix next time, but Hubby felt it was good as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...