Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Eve Traditions

When I was little every Christmas Eve my brother's Nouno (Godfather) came over to celebrate.  We had yummies, finished decorating the tree or did some last minute gift wrapping, and just spent time together.  We were allowed to open one early gift each (always pajamas -- after all we had to look nice in the pictures the next morning).  I can vividly remember just being purely happy, feeling sheer joy.  My brother's Nouno has since moved to Florida, our family has increased with in-laws and new loved ones, and my brothers and I are no longer all living under the same roof, and I miss it. 

But just because old traditions have changed, doesn't  mean we haven't started new ones.  Hubby's family has always celebrated the holiday on Christmas Eve, which actually makes it nice, as we are able to celebrate with them and don't have to rush to be with everyone. 

When we married I was determined to start our own traditions, while still honoring some of the old ones.  I wanted to start something new for our new little family, something we would still be doing years and years from now.  So, after things settle and it's just Hubby and I we snuggle in by the tree and a fire, I still gift him with pajamas, and I prepare the overnight coffee cake.  It's the perfect addition to Christmas morning as it couldn't be easier, but is still delicious.  Really, it's not much of a recipe, as all your doing is assembling, but man are they yummy.

Note: Make sure to wait a few minutes before inverting...
I didn't and you can see how messily they came out.....

Rhodes Coffee Cake
Original recipe from my mama's recipe box
  • 24 frozen Rhodes dinner roll
  • 1 stick butter melted
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 pkg. vanilla pudding (not instant)
  • ½ cup pecans, chopped
Directions:
  • Grease bundt pan generously.
  • Drop balls in bottom evenly.
  • Pour melted butter over frozen dough.
  • Mix brown sugar, pudding, nuts. Sprinkle over dough balls.
  • Let stand overnight on counter, covered loosely with saran wrap. (I use a dishtowel.)
  • In morning, bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
  • After removing from oven, wait 5 minutes before inverting.  Can add more pecans at this time.

Merry, Merry!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...