Tuesday, May 20, 2014

DIY Birdhouse Sculpture

I came across this picture online while on the Anthropologie website and was smitten.  However, with the nearly $500 price-tag I knew it would never be mine.  The wheels started turning and I remembered the bag of unfinished miniature birdhouses I had used for a lovebird themed bridal shower I had hosted.  The bag had been stashed for nearly two years, but I just didn't have the heart to get rid of them.  Using paint and supplies from my stash I immediately got to work.

First I played around with the arrangement trying to figure out how they would best fit together.  I knew that I wanted one with a hanger on the very top of the structure so that I could hang it next to our bird feeders. 


I'm clearly a very scientific person....

Next, using a combination of blue, green, and yellow I planned which colors would go where.  I knew I didn't want all the houses looking the same, nor there to be too much of one color, etc.


More scientific research....



I used a very fancy paper plate paint palette and sponge brushes so that when all was said and done it could just be pitched in the trash.  A cardboard box was fashioned as a drop cloth.




Once the houses were painted and dry I hot glued them together, then sealed with acrylic sealer.



Hubby was more than skeptical during this project, but even he admitted "it turned out kind of cool".

Happy Birding! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...