Wednesday, May 21, 2014

In the Garden

Every spring Hubby and I plant a vegetable garden.  I always say I'm not going to go overboard and that I'm going to keep it simple, but that never seems to be the case.  I just get too excited :). (Last season I found Pink Girl Tomatoes -- our very favorite -- for $2 for four plants.  I ended up buying 16 plants.  These are heirloom and grow to be HUGE plants.  I gave some to my dad, but still.....) I really did think I had accomplished the "don't go overboard" goal this year while buying the plants.  When Hubby and I planted, I realized I hadn't.  Oops.  Regardless, we're both very excited that it is finally warm enough to get them in the ground.  We can hardly wait for them to start producing.





This year we planted a variety of peppers: jalapeno, Hungarian wax, sweet banana, and green bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and Brussels sprouts. 

We have two different varieties of cucumbers, green beans, yellow wax beans, and sugar snap peas.  They grow on the trellises Hubby built a couple of years ago.  (Although most of these we grow by seed, so there's nothing really to see yet....)


We planted a variety of tomato plants including the previously mentioned Pink Girls, Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Yellow Pear, Grape, and Sweet 100s.  Hubby reminded me that we've tried the Cherokee Purple before and that they aren't good producers.  I guess we'll see this summer.


Some of our beloved Pink Girls

We have four okra plants.  The season here is awfully short for them, but with my love of okra in any form....fried, stewed, pickled, in a Bloody Mary....I'm very happy with whatever we can get!

Last, but not least, we planted a couple melon plants over by our blackberry bush.  In the past we haven't gotten a large crop of melons, but thought we'd give it a go again this year.

It may not look like much now, but hopefully it will soon.  Now to just sit back and let nature - and our bees - do the work.

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...