Wednesday, October 22, 2014

What's for Dinner [Avgolemono - Greek Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo]

The first time I became sick at IU all I wanted was a big bowl of avgolemono.  I called the local "Greek" restaurant, but they had never heard of it.  I was completely dejected.  All these years later I still crave a bowl each time I feel under the weather.  I cooked up a big batch last night, then crawled into bed and pulled the covers over my head.  I'm telling you, this stuff is magic...it's like medicine in a bowl.  And it's pretty darn yummy when you're not feeling like yourself, too.  Delish. 


This recipe can be intimidating (if you don't temper the eggs correctly, it will curdle)  -- but trust me, it shouldn't be.  Especially with the advent of the KitchenAid.  (I'm always amazed at the things my family members made without it.....truly amazed.  It certainly makes things easy!)  Some families make the soup with rice, but I prefer using orzo. 

Avgolemono (Greek Egg Lemon Soup with Orzo)
  • 8 cups chicken stock (most of the time I make my own, this time I used store bought and a rotisserie chicken)
  • chicken from said chicken - either what you use to make the stock, or store bought
  • 1/2 cup orzo
  • juice of 2-3 lemons
  • 4 eggs, separated
Directions
  • Prepare stock, once ready bring to boil and add orzo, cooking according to package directions.
  • Separate eggs.  Whip egg whites until stiff. 
  • While continuing to whisk, slowly add egg yolks to still whites.
  • Once yolks are incorporated, slowly add lemon juice, whisking entire time.
  • Now here's the tricky part.....time to temper the eggs mixture.  The key is to whisk on high the entire time.  Just don't turn off the KitchenAid and it will be fine.  Slowly whisk in the warm chicken broth so that the egg doesn't cook when added to the hot broth. 
  • Once tempered gently fold egg mix into soup and enjoy!
Happy Greek Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...