Sunday, October 5, 2014

Biscuit Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts

In fifth grade we went on an overnight camping field trip.  I remember several things from this trip.....a ghost story that was so scary one girl wet her pants (although I don't remember the story), a night hike, and Mrs. Simpson's camping doughnuts.  They were yummy, and for some reason, Mrs. Simpson was not one I would have imagined to make doughnuts over a camp fire, which made it even cooler.

So, last night after an unsuccessful dinner involving canned biscuits, when Hubby asked what we were going to do with the leftover biscuits, I had a flashback to Mrs. Simpson at the campfire, and knew immediately I would surprise him with these.

I can hardly call these a recipe as they are more of a method, but let me tell you....I was pretty happy we didn't have an entire can of biscuits, as I would have surely eaten them all.....



Biscuit Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts

Ingredients:
  • refrigerated biscuits
  • cinnamon sugar mixture (I used 1/4 cup sugar, 1 T cinnamon)
  • melted butter
  • vegetable oil
Directions:
  • Heat vegetable oil in heavy bottomed skillet.  (Cast iron is best - or I used a Le Creuset)
  • While oil is heating, cut a hole in biscuits.  (I used a leaf and an apple for fall, but once fried it was difficult to tell.)
  • Once fried, dip in melted butter and then cinnamon sugar.
I served them with pumpkin lattes for a special and yummy fall treat. 

Happy Fall Cooking!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, those look so yummy. Now I just need to find GF canned biscuits! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just so simple! I wish I could help with the GF! Just went to a new store here Fresh Thyme Market that had a pretty large selection, but I don't think they've traveled far enough south for you :(.

      Delete

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...