Wednesday, November 19, 2014

What's for Dinner [Braised Beef with Hilopites]

About a month ago I searched all of Indianapolis for fresh filo dough to no avail.  Other than at a local Greek restaurant downtown I still haven't found any.  (If you know of some, please let me know!!)  I did, however, stumble upon Taste of Europe, a little market and restaurant who offers a nice selection of Greek pastas, including hilopites.  I immediately grabbed them initially planning on making them with chicken.  After some further thought I decided Hubby should be introduced to them with braised beef instead.  It was a huge winner, and he has requested to have it again soon.


Hilopites are little, dried, square egg noodles.  I grew up eating them and one bite instantly transports me to my childhood.  This dish was the ultimate comfort food.  If you can't find them in your area, then you can just substitute regular egg noodles.

Braised Beef with Hilopites
  • 3 lb chuck roast, cut into 1 in or so pieces
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 - 2  T dried parsley
  • 3-5 cups beef stock (sorry, didn't measure this part very well....)
  •  1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground clove
  • 6 T tomato paste
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed dutch oven (I used a Le Creuset). After seasoning the meat with salt and pepper brown in batches, careful not to crowd the pan. Set aside.

To original pan, add onion and garlic and saute until translucent.  Add parsley and cook briefly. Add beef broth to the pot while carefully deglazing the pan.  Add tomato paste, cinnamon, and clove and mix well.  After bringing to a boil, add meat back to the pot.  Reduce heat and simmer at least 2 hours until meat is tender.  (This time mine cooked 3 hours before I felt it was ready.)

Once meat is ready, slightly increase heat and add 1/2 c hilopites and cook 9-10 minutes, uncovered,  until tender.

Serve with crumbled feta. 

Happy Greek Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...