Monday, March 23, 2015

What's for Dinner [Spicy Creamed Spinach]

Growing up my mama made the best creamed spinach.  She called it Mrs. Gay's Spinach...in fact, I still call it that.  I can't share that specific recipe with y'all, but I can tell you I found one that's pretty close and is definitely yummy while watching the Food Network the other day.  This side dish complements just about anything.  Here I've served it with Paul Prudhomme's Salmon (which I've eaten nearly every day of Lent) but I also love it with chicken and pork. 


Spicy Creamed Spinach
Ingredients:

  • 2 packages frozen chopped spinach
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup spinach liquid
  • 6 oz shredded pepper jack cheese
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • Ground red pepper

  • Directions:
    Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain and reserve liquid. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown. Add evaporated milk and reserved spinach liquid slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook until smooth and thick; continue stirring. Add the cheese, Worcestershire, black pepper, celery salt, garlic salt, red pepper, and salt, to taste. Stir until melted. Combine with cooked spinach.
    Note: I found this version kind of salty, and would put a little less then add more as needed. 
    Happy Cooking!

    1 comment:

    Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...