Wednesday, February 24, 2016

What's for Dinner [Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki]

When Hubby and I first started dating he'd frequently request gyros when we'd have dinner together.  Looking back I think he was showing off that he knew that it wasn't pronounced guh-EYE-ros!  Ha!  I've shared my trick for picking it up locally at Kincaids, but last night I decided to make a chicken version, and although he doesn't really like chicken, he loved it!!



Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • 1 T parsley, dried
  • 1 T oregano
  • dried mint, if desired (really this just depends if I have it on hand)
  • 2-3 T olive oil
  • 8 to 10 chicken tenders (or breasts sliced, I just think they cook easier without drying out)
  • Tzatziki recipe
  • pita
  • feta, crumbled
  • red onion, sliced
  • lettuce and tomato, if desired
Directions:
  • Mix first seven ingredients together and allow to marinate a minimum of 30 minutes.  I add salt and pepper to taste, as well.
  • Make tzatziki while chicken marinates.
  • Cook chicken either on grill or saute in olive oil over medium heat until cooked through.  Squeeze lemon juice over chicken.
  • Assemble sandwich to your liking!  I like tzatziki, red onion, and feta.  
Notes:
This isn't truly gyros, nor is it my usual souvlaki marinade, but I felt like it was the best description that most people would recognize :).

Happy Greek Cooking!

Today you can find me at 

Cozy Little House

Cozy Little House 

and 

Uptown Acorn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...