Monday, July 6, 2015

Spanakorizo [Rice with Spinach]

It's come to my attention that although I shared the recipe for Greek style lamb chops last week, I neglected to share the recipe for the spanakorizo (spinach and rice). When Hubby and I first married we hosted his parents for a special dinner.  I went all out (so I thought) and cooked Greek specialties using family recipes.  I have to admit I was pretty proud of myself for pulling it all together successfully.  Spanakorizo was one of those yummy recipes.  I made it often and Hubby loved it, so I thought they would, too....unfortunately, I was wrong. I have since learned that Hubby's Pop doesn't like spinach and it was a bit too adventurous for his mama.  I think of that evening every time I make it.  Now, that being said, everyone else I have made it for absolutely loves it.  It is an interesting combination...one that really works (at least the Greeks think so)!



Spanakorizo (Spinach with Rice)
Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs spinach (fresh or frozen)
  • 3/4 cup uncooked rice (some recipes call for 1 cup - all a matter of taste)
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • dried oregano
Wash and dry spinach (if using fresh) and tear into pieces.  Saute onions, garlic, and rice in olive oil until onions are soft and slightly browned.  Add tomato paste and stir well.  Add spinach, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and oregano to taste (sorry -- don't measure any of these....).  Mix well.  Add beef broth, turn heat to low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender.  Can serve hot or cold.



Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...