|We neglected to snap a pic after it baked - please forgive!|
Kreatopita - Meat Pita
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 T fresh chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 t and a smidge cinnamon
- 1/4 t (shy) nutmeg
- 1 can tomato sauce
- a couple glugs white wine (So not scientific...Daddy's always reminding me cooking is an art....)
- dried oregano (This one I forgot to pay attention -- a couple shakes.)
- 1 package filo dough
- lots of melted butter
- Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- In a little butter or olive oil, saute onions, garlic, and parsley, until onions just soft.
- Add beef and brown. (I drain here)
- Add spices, wine, and tomato sauce. Simmer for 30 min. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Butter round baking pan generously.Add five or six sheets of filo, one at a time, brushing with butter in between each, and alternating angles so that edges hang over side of pan and entire bottom of pan is covered.
- Add five or six sheets of filo, one at a time, brushing with butter in between each, and alternating angles so that edges hang over side of pan and entire bottom of pan is covered.
- Add filling.
- Cover top of filling with filo in same manner, buttering and alternating, until filling is completely covered and all filo is used.
- Pull edges back over filling and butter generously.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for an hour or until golden brown and filling set.
- Note: it is important to work very quickly, as the filo dries out quickly and becomes very difficult to work with, breaking easily. Some people cover with a damp cloth, but I find it only ends up taking me longer, so I just try to hurry instead.