Mesquite Bean Coffee
Ingredients and Supplies:
- mesquite bean pods
- baking sheet
- coffee grinder
- percolator or coffee maker
- Break bean pods into smaller pieces - approximately a couple inches long.
- Spread into even layer on baking sheet and roast in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Just a little warning - they can get a little smokey.
- Grind roasted pods in a grinder, just as you would coffee beans. However, don't expect the consistency to be as fine. It will still be a bit chunky.
- Use just as you would use coffee grounds to make your mesquite bean coffee
- The longer you roast the pods, the darker roast your coffee will be. (Makes sense, right??)
- There are natural sugars in the beans which sweeten your coffee. I typically take my coffee pretty sweet and no added sweetener was needed!
- While it was quite yummy hot, Bestie MHDRL and I really enjoyed it iced!
- Total side note - look at those sweet little hands in the corner of the picture. We had the greatest little helper break up the beans. He's the sweetest!!