Monday, August 15, 2016

DIY Greek Yogurt

Growing up my dad and grandmother made yogurt all the time.  I was completely intrigued that we went to bed with a pot of milk and woke to a pot of yogurt.  This morning I was pretty tickled to find my own pot of milk had turned to yogurt overnight....so was Hubby.  If I'm being honest, he was pretty doubtful about the whole thing.

When a friend from school mentioned that he uses a starter that is over 1,000 years old and does it in the crock pot I knew I'd have to try it for myself.  Usually I use a thermometer, but this time I just went with the timing he suggested instead.  This will definitely become part of the Sunday routine at our happy little hive.





Greek Yogurt
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 gallon of milk (NOT ultra-pasteurized)
  • 1 individual Fage (or 1/2 cup any natural yogurt - or your own homemade yogurt after you make it the first time!)
Supplies:
  •  crock pot
  • bath towel (Weird, but works!!)
Directions:
  • Heat the 1/2 gallon of milk in the crock pot on low for 2 1/2 hours.  
  • Turn crock pot off, keep covered, and do not disturb for 3 hours.
  • In a separate bowl, mix starter yogurt and 1-2 cups milk from the crock pot.  Mix well.
  • Add yogurt and milk mixture to crock pot, cover with lid, and wrap with bath towel.  (Think dark and insulated.)  Put towel wrapped crock pot in cold oven with light on.  Note: oven is off entire time, just the light is on.  Leave undisturbed overnight.
  • Giggle in the morning when you wake up to yogurt!! 
  • For a thicker yogurt (Greek style) position a cheesecloth lined strainer over a bowl and let sit until it reaches your desired consistency.
  • Here I've served with Costco cherries and a drizzle of our bee's honey.  My very favorite way to serve, however, is with chopped walnuts and honey.  So delish!
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...