Thursday, November 6, 2014

Paint Your Own Pottery

Bestie KP and I headed to Half Baked Pottery where we painted our blues away.  She's extremely talented and I'm typically pretty jealous when we go because her creations are always fabulous and mine are always, well, the same.  I'm not much of a risk-taker and know I can successfully paint the triangular Christmas tree, so that's what I usually do.  I'm happy with them, but I know that at some point, I'm going to have to venture outside of my comfort zone and finally do something different.  But for now, the Christmas Tree Series......

I start by painting the piece (this time a mug) with speckled paint. Then with pencil I outline the tree (not so difficult as it is literally just a triangle and a rectangle, but with my lack of artistic ability I still get nervous).  Next, I choose a few different shades of green and dot away until it looks full. 


Finally I add a yellow dot on the top of the tree and our family name at the bottom.  (We had a long, long debate on the spelling using "es" or just "s" at the end.  We even googled it. Apparently you can do it either way.  The first time I chose just s.  Now I'm not so sure (not shocking if you know me) but can't change it since I don't want them to be different. C'est la vie.)


I painted the inside of the mug and the handle the darkest shade of green that I used for the tree and added a little "Merry" surprise to the bottom of the mug.  A fun little reminder of the joy of the season as one finished their cocoa or coffee. 



Her masterpiece, however, was a little more complicated, and very cool.  She started by wrapping her entire piece in painter's tape.  Then she measured equal intervals to make her design and next cut away the portions she wanted to be colored and not white.  (Tip: to help keep straight which was to be cut and which to leave, she marked the ones to leave on the plate with an X.)


Finally, she painted away. 


I don't have a picture of the masterpiece after it was fired, but just trust me when I say it's awesome.  Here it is before it was fired:


I'm quite sure next time we go she will do something equally creative...and me, I'll probably do another Christmas tree :).

Happy Pottery Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...