Wednesday, September 3, 2014

In My Lunchbox, Salad in a Jar Edition [Southwest Salad with Cumin Cilantro Vinaigrette]

As y'all know, I love to pack my lunches for the week all at once.  I'm simply not disciplined enough to do it every night (or that morning).  The bento boxes have been a wonderful help with that, but I do love a salad for lunch, too!  Rather than having to worry about the dressing leaking, the lettuce getting soggy, or both, I pack the entire thing into one of my beloved Ball jars.  It works like a charm.


This week I did a Southwest Chicken Salad with a Cilantro Cumin Vinaigrette.  Just mix up a batch of the dressing and layer the ingredients into the jar, making sure the dressing is on the very bottom of the jar.  Next layer the protein you are using, such as my grilled chicken.  This way it just soaks up the yummy dressing goodness.  Then layer your chosen toppings.  This week I used black beans, corn, cherry tomatoes, a tiny bit of cheddar cheese, and red bell peppers.  Finally, the lettuce goes on top.  That way it stays nice and crisp.  I have sometimes even been known to do a weeks worth of salads for dinner for Hubby and me.  (Pair that with some marinated meat, and you're golden.)

Cumin Cilantro Vinaigrette with Lime

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 T. cider vinegar
  • Juice of 1/2 -1 lime, plus zest
  • one squeeze of honey
  • 1 T. chopped cilantro leaves
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

  • Mix all ingredients well (of course I do mine in yet another Ball jar). Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...