I must confess....we've had this twice in the last two weeks, but I've neglected to take a picture of the finished product each time. Hubby's always in too much of a hurry to start eating...
Asparagus with Croutons and Chorizo
Source: Jacques Pepin
- 1 lb large, thick, firm asparagus, tough ends removed and bottom half of stalks peeled with a vegetable peeler
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 cup 3/4 inch pieces chorizo sausages (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups 3/4 inch bread cubes (croutons), preferably from a baguette or country loaf
- 1/4 cup whole almonds with skins
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- Cut each asparagus stalk into 3 or 4 pieces.
- At serving time, heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until very hot.
- Add the asparagus, chorizo, bread, and almonds and saute, covered, for 5-6 minutes, tossing or stirring the mixture a few times, so it browns and cooks all over.
- Add the salt and pepper, toss again, and serve on four warmed plates.
- We made it with the almonds the first time, but haven't included them since.
- We have made this with andouille in place of the chorizo and it was fabulous!
- We don't always use that much oil.
- We do always love it!
*This post includes affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Happy Little Hive.