I decorated the table with Seussicalesque wrapping paper from my stash, a couple copies of his classic work, and our chalkboard menu which listed our menu consisting of green eggs (baked eggs with fresh herbs) and ham, truffula fruit (blueberries), and pink ink drink (strawberry milk).
Let's just be clear here....I'd eat these eggs in a box, with a fox, on a boat, with a goat, I'd eat them here or there, I'd eat them anywhere! They are so yummy and actually make the yummiest lazy weekend morning breakfast. Toss some ingredients in a ramekin, throw them in the oven, and in 5-7 minutes you're treated to some yumminess. We love them served with baguette or ciabatta toast.
Baked Eggs with Fresh Herbs
Ingredients (per ramekin):
- 2 eggs
- 1 T milk
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped
- fresh thyme, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a pat of butter in each ramekin. Put in warm oven just until butter melts.
- Add 1 T milk.
- Break 2 eggs, careful not to break yolks.
- Add generous pinch / smidge Parmesan cheese.
- Top with generous sprinkle of fresh herbs.
- Pepper to taste.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes. Tip: Whites shouldn't be completely set, but almost, so that the white will set while resting, but yolks will still be runny.
- Remove from oven and allow to set for 2 minutes before serving.
Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss and