Monday, January 19, 2015

In My Lunchbox [Soup in a Jar ~ Chicken Tortellini Soup]

Y'all already know what a huge fan I am of packing an entire week's worth of lunches on Sunday.  (If you don't you can see my other lunchbox ideas here.)  It doesn't really take any longer to pack a week's worth than it does one lunch, and this method ensures that I actually have one every day.  This week I decided to do a little something different than a bento box or salad in a jar, even if I didn't venture off too far from the jar....this week it's soup in a jar.  Sunday afternoon I cooked up a big batch of chicken vegetable soup, ladled into 5 different jars, and voila....lunch for the week.


I don't really use a specific recipe while making soup, but tried to pay attention as I was tossing ingredients into the pot.

Chicken Tortellini Soup
For Stock:
  • 1 whole chicken
  • 3-4 carrots, cut into large chunks
  • 3 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
  • 1 onion, cut into chunks
  • handful peppercorns
  • thyme (1 t or more to taste)
  • oregano (1 t or more to taste)
  • salt and pepper (I put whole peppercorns in a tea steeper)
Put chicken and other ingredients in a stock pot.  Cover with water and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer for at least an hour.  (I put mine on in the morning and let it go most of the day.)
OR just use canned chicken broth/stock if you prefer.

For Soup:
  • shredded chicken that was cooked while making stock
  • carrots, celery, and onion also cooked while making stock
  • 1 pkg mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 pkg cheese tortellini
Bring broth back to a boil.  Add mushrooms and tortellini and cook until pasta is soft.  Serve immediately.
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...