Slow Cooked Black Eyed Peas with Ham Hocks
For every pound of black eyed peas include
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large ham hock
- 1/2 c celery, chopped
- 1/2 c bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t. thyme
- 1 t pepper
- salt to taste (I typically salt after they have cooked with hocks)
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 can chicken broth
- cayenne to taste
- Heat olive oil in stock pot and brown ham hocks.
- Add celery, bell pepper, onion, and garlic and cook for 5 min or so.
- Add broth, making sure to scrape all brown bits on bottom of pan.
- Add peas, bay leaf, and seasonings.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 45 min - 1 hour OR put in slow cooker and cook 8 hours or until soft and creamy.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Serve as is or over rice topped with green onions.