Thursday, October 16, 2014

What's for Dinner [Spanakopita]

I've been intending on writing this post for nearly a month, but honestly, just don't know where to begin.  Full disclosure: my spanakopita is not nearly as delicious as my daddy's, but it's good.  Unfortunately, we don't really measure the ingredients, just kind of go by what it looks like and how it tastes....hence the few specific measurements in the recipe that follows.  I used to call my dad and ask for specific directions for cooking various things.  He'd respond with something along the lines of, "Sister, cooking is an art, not a science."  I've been asked often if I could just make a little pita, but I'm a firm believer if you are going to the trouble, you might as well go big or go home.  It's just as easy to make a big one, and then you can share with those you love!


Spanakopita

Ingredients:
  • 3 pounds spinach (fresh, frozen, or combination) chopped
  • 1 pound feta (or more - don't skimp)
  • 1 c. - 1 1/2 cup Kefalotyri, grated (very difficult to find, can sub Pecorino Romano)
  • 10-12 eggs, beaten
  • fresh parsley, chopped
  • dried oregano
  • fresh mint (less than the parsley and oregano)
  • dill, fresh or dried
  • a few generous glugs of olive oil
  • 1 package filo (fresh is better than frozen, if possible)
  • lots of melted butter
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
  • Using a food processor chop spinach.
  • Mix all ingredients except filo and butter.  (Hint: I taste the filling and adjust seasoning before adding eggs.)
  • Butter pita pan generously.

  • Add five or six sheets of filo, one at a time, brushing with butter in between each, and alternating angles so that edges hang over side of pan and entire bottom of pan is covered.

  • Add filling.
  • Cover top of filling with filo in same manner, buttering and alternating, until filling is completely covered and all filo is used.

  • Pull edges back over filling and butter generously. (I didn't butter enough on top.  You can tell in the top picture because the filo is coming up around the edge.)

  • Bake in 350 degree oven for an hour or until golden brown and filling set.
  • Note: it is important to work very quickly, as the filo dries out quickly and becomes very difficult to work with, breaking easily.  Some people cover with a damp cloth, but I find it only ends up taking me longer, so just try to hurry instead.
Happy Greek Cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for buzzing by! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...