This dish was delicious, and although it took forever to cook the squash, there was very little other work involved. In the future I'll prep everything on the weekend and have it ready to bake during the week.
Italian Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2-3 links Italian sausage
- Jar of favorite spaghetti sauce (I used Newman's Own Fra Diavolo)
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Italian Seasoning
- Pierce squash several times (I did this with my large chef's knife.....No messing around this time -- see aforementioned explosions....)
- Place squash in baking dish and bake at 350 for 1 - 1/2 hours. Split in half and test. I baked mine, face up, for an additional half and hour, for a total of 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, remove sausage from casings, brown, and crumble.
- Once squash is finished, pull with a fork and place in bottom of baking dish. (I used a square pan.)
- Mix in sauce (amount to taste) and sausage.
- Top with cheese sprinkled with Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 350 until cheese is browned and casserole is bubbly.