One of my favorite Sunday dinners is a simple roasted chicken. Whether it's Sticky Chicken, Creole Butter Injected Chicken, or even a Costco rotisserie chicken, it truly is one of my very favorite meals. As an added bonus, the leftovers make week night dinners so simple. This chicken pot pie fits that bill perfectly.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- 2-2 1/2 c. chicken, shredded or cubed
- 1 package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (Certainly you can use a white sauce mix, but tonight this is what we went with ;).)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- dash milk
- 1 t parsley
- 1 t thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- ready or home made pie crust (one for top only, two for top and bottom)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan saute onion (and garlic, if desired) in a bit of olive oil.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add vegetables and seasonings. Cook 1-2 min.
- Add soup and chicken. Heat through. Thin with milk, as needed.
- If using two pie crusts line bottom of pie pan with one crust. Add heated filling and top with second pie crust. Cut the top to vent and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the crust has browned and the filling is bubbly.
- Freezer Option: Lots of leftover chicken? Double the filling, make one pie, and pop the remaining filling into the freezer. When you're ready to use it, thaw and you're ready to fill a second pie. Or, for a different twist, thaw and top with biscuits.